"It is perhaps best to see the British and the Germans as an odd couple with a tendency to lurch from throwing dishes to mutual admiration."
‘I cannot think of a politician (and I have quite a list) who has been so consistently rude to and about me as Brooks Newmark’
‘Will the BBC suffer the same fate as British Leyland and British Shipbuilders?’
'The Great Recession of 2008 knocked many assumptions but it knocked the assumptions of the young worst of all'
‘Temporarily withdrawing from the human rights convention in order to deport Abu Qatada would be absurd’
Abortion is a subject which never goes away and the arguments remain fundamental — a woman's right to choose versus a child's right to life, as each side would advance their case. And yet the technical and clinical
‘The best political memoirs are shot through with a kind of candour’
‘Why have many people who support the idea of local property taxation come out against the mansion tax?’
'With readership in decline, the German press faces not only a dire economic challenge but an identity crisis'
Life in Birmingham as a vicar’s wife opened our Mole’s eyes to what has become of Britain’s second city
‘It is assumed that the capital is a standing rebuke to all those who voice concern about unfettered migration. But surely Londoners leaving London is a cause for concern’
‘I’m an actress, Ed, and I am often commended for my timing. Frankly, my dear, yours sucks’
New mathematics prizes show the public that the subject is constantly renewing itself with new ideas
The forgotten master who manufactured his own myths
Supping with the autumnal god Bacchus
It gets to the point doesn't it — where you're trying to "do the right thing", whatever that may be. Lead a decent, middle-class life — and yet somehow whatever you do, it's morally wrong. You know? It's
It is time to make a stand against incomprehensible modern music
Standpoint's regular columns
- Old Men Don't Forget
- Win Tickets to the Inaugural Standpoint Salon
- The Civilised Connoisseur
- From Art as Life to Blood and Soil
- We Can Have a Free Press and Justice Too
- Beacon of Liberty Amid Depression
- British Prisons: Hotbeds of Radicalisation
- An Insult to Ike
- David Cameron's Difficulties with Girls
- Nadine Gordimer: 'Comrade Madam'
- Underrated: Ken Dodd
- Republicans Cannot Go On As The 'Party Of No'
- How To Defeat The Global Jihadists
- Annus Mirabilis?
- The Chief Whip And The Man In The Mask
- A Conservative Convention
- Supreme Ruling: Boy Admitted to JFS
- It's Good to Talk
- Overrated: Nassim Nicholas Taleb
- A Raspberry for Emetic Music
Popular Standpoint topics