"English writers have fallen out of love with marriage, and I shared their scepticism — until now."
A new anthology highlights the shortfalls of contemporary outlets for short fiction
The National Gallery’s show is a treat for a country with a modest collection of the artist’s work
Direct funding, not tax breaks to be exploited by accountants, is the best way for government to help the arts
A superb new film vividly portrays the use and abuse of scripture by slavers to justify their evil acts
Harley Granville Barker upset the censor with his study of a political idealist and bedroom bounder
The passion and dedication at OrchKids, a Baltimore version of El Sistema, cannot fix a broken city
Standpoint's arts and culture section
- Unhappy Families
- Ladies' Man Of Art
- The Promised Land?
- The Poor Need a Truly Creative Jobs Plan
- Whodunnit? Who Cares?
- Strike Off the Band
- Assassin in a Hijab
- They Just Don't Get It
- Drone Knowns
- Prosecutor survives, but only just
- Overrated: Ptolemy
- Adam Smith: The Morality of the Invisible Hand
- Havana: The Castros Will Not Be Absolved
- Never Too Old
- NGOs NBG
- Moldova and Out
- The Real Lockerbie Conspiracy?
- Should we be 'going to extremes'?
- The Public Doctrine of Maurice Cowling
Popular Standpoint topics