Why is nobody composing great music? Because we have neglected its true source.
Michael Bloch's deft biography turns Jeremy Thorpe's life into a page-turning narrative
A new exhibition tries to resurrect the reputation of Sir Joshua Reynolds
Hilary Mantel's Wolf Hall, superbly adapted for television, is brilliant because it defies easy definition
A superb new film vividly portrays the use and abuse of scripture by slavers to justify their evil acts
Despite its intractable subject matter, The Hard Problem is an elegant and ingenious work
Nervousness surrounds the search by the world's most admired orchestra for a new chief conductor
Standpoint's arts and culture section
- Ambassadors for Dispute-Resolution
- Beirut: Hariri — An Assassination Too Far
- Greek Ruins
- ONLINE ONLY: The Hayward Gallery's Fashionable Primitives
- Don't Let Police Take Liberties
- God Gives Us Dignity, Dignitas Only Death
- Europe's Implosion Could Save the UK
- South China Sea Change
- Never Too Old
- A Wee Dram of History
- Whose Olympic gold?
- Will Germany be a Divided Nation Again?
- The Barrister and the Bomb
- New Greek Myths
- Stopping terrorism is not 'criminalising dissent'
- Underrated: Jacob Rees-Mogg
- The Tartar Terminator
- The Moral Strength of Leonard Cohen
- History's Greatest Ponzi Scheme
Popular Standpoint topics